Saturday, September 11, 2010

Oh, the Places You'll Go! By Dr. Seuss

        Oh, the Places You'll Go! By Dr. Seuss, is a fun and inspiring "graduation speech" about how you can be successful if you keep trying and don't give up no matter what obstacles might get in your way. Dr. Seuss once again chooses to write the whole story with short, rhyming sentences and lots of grandiose punctuation. All of the illustrations are done in pastel colors and cover the entire page, with lots of shapes, designs, animals and interesting characters that only Dr. Seuss could imagine. This book was given to me by my now mother-in-law when I graduated from college. It really meant a lot to me because I felt like she believed that I was going to be successful, and that she was giving me her support and encouragement. Isn't it interesting that one story, geared towards elementary students, could evoke so much emotion in a college student? I read it when she gave it to me and I still read it now. When I was accepted to graduate school, I reread again it to remind myself not to give up no matter how overwhelmed I felt. The story itself is not long, but the meaning is deep. It doesn't matter which road you travel, as long as you try your best.........and Dr. Seuss basically tells the reader "to get going!"

Elementary students can read this, probably starting in the second grade, although they may not grasp it's deeper meaning. The story itself is fun and easy to read and can really help a student to learn more vocabulary words because of the rhyming patterns.

3 comments:

  1. I love this book!! After reading the Seuss book in class, it is nice to see his original illustrations again. I think that that book has made me appreciate his work even more. Somehow as a child I never realized that he drew all his own pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Seuss will always be someone I can enjoy through the ages. This book was partly quoted at my high school graduation and I remember feeling both happy and sad listening to the class valedictorian read the words. One of the marks of a truly talented author, in my opinion, is to write stories that relate to young and old alike. I have always felt that "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" is a wonderful example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best children's books are the ones that can inspire the oldest of children. That's what I want to see when I become a teacher. What does this book mean to my student when a litte bit of time goes by.

    ReplyDelete