Saturday, September 11, 2010

Matthew A.B.C.

        Matthew A.B.C. is a silly, fun book written and illustrated by Peter Catalanotto, and based on the ABC's. Mrs. Tuttle, the teacher, has 25 students in her class all named "Matthew." How does she tell them apart......Matthew "A" is Affectionate, Matthew "G" has trouble with Glue, Matthew "K" is fond of Ketchup, etc., etc. This book is an easy read, with one sentence on each page, no inflection, no bold words. The illustrations are bold and neat and reflect the sentence on the page. It is definitely geared towards the younger ages and I really think kindergartners would love it. It would also be helpful with phonics.
Peter Catalanotto visited my older son's school back in 2003 and signed all the student's books (as you can see in the picture), so this book is very special to my son. Catalanotto has written 13 books and also does illustrations. He lives in Pennsylvania, but is a "visiting author." If you would like him to visit your school, simply go to www.visitingauthors.com and fill out a request form.

3 comments:

  1. This is a really cute idea! As a future teacher i can relate, because I know there will be that year that I get 6 Andreas in my class, or two sets of identical twins, and I have to come up with some way to tell them apart. I like the idea of this book because it is different from many of the traditional ABC books like the animal ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I related to this book right away as I'm still having a little trouble remembering all the names of the students in my teacher placement. I must be the worst at names!

    Peter Catalanotto chooses such great and funny things to associate with the A.B.C.'s of all the Matthews in the classroom. I have to agree with Jenn that the original way of approaching the A.B.C.'s is quite refreshing. The creativity of Catalanotto is very apparent in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the concept of this book!! It's a fun idea for teachers to think about if they were to get numerous students with the same name. I could see myself giving them nicknames like Matthew A or B.

    ReplyDelete