Saturday, September 11, 2010

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson is one of my all time favorite books. The introduction page sets the tone for the book with Harold standing there with his purple crayon, and purple scribble is all over the page. This story focuses on Harold, who is a young child but not a toddler, and the adventure he goes on using his purple crayon and his imagination. This story is an easy read and doesn't require a lot of inflection etc.
     Harold draws everything that happens to him, such as when he wants to take a "walk in the moonlight," he has to draw the moon and the sidewalk. All of the illustrations are rudimentary and drawn using only the color purple. When Harold doesn't want to get lost in the woods, he draws a small forest. When he is hungry, he draws all nine pies that "he likes best" and when he is tired, he draws his bed and he makes sure to draw the moon through his window. This book reflects the imagination that all young children possess, and I have especially loved reading it to all of my children. I have had this book for at least thirteen years and it's worn out, but I still enjoy reading it at bedtime.Any young child would be able to identify with this book, especially the parts about the scary dragon, the big mountain, the trim boat and the moon. I think Harold being able to see the moon through his bedroom window makes him feel safe and secure, and that it is time for bed.

Crockett Johnson also wrote Ellen's Lion.

3 comments:

  1. I'm surprised I've never heard of this book. I read everything I could get my hands on as a kid, and this book sounds right up my alley. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was searching for books for my imagination vs. reality interdisciplinary unit this summer for Curriculum, Assessment, & Instruction, I thought of this book right away! I remember reading this book as a kid and falling to sleep dreaming about what I would draw with my purple crayon. I love how Crockett Johnson has Harold use something so simple to bring his imagination to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a vague remembrance of this book from my childhood. Therefore, it must be a pretty good book, because thare are not many books that I can remember well from childhood. The picture on the front cover makes me want to go check it out and see what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete