Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Boy by Roald Dahl

          Roald Dahl manages to make this book a funny and entertaining version of his life growing up in a large family (being the only boy), and going to boarding school in Europe. I wondered why he called the book "Boy" and I finally realized it was because he signed all his letters to his mother, "with love, Boy." It must have been horrible having your adenoids cut out with not anesthetic, or your nose almost shaved off and sewn on again with just chloroform. What about the poor boy with the boil on his leg?
          Can you imagine the punishment that went on at his boarding schools. The "canings" sound awful....and the yelling and the Boazers.........Dahl had tragedy in his life but he had a great mother,and he tried to keep a positive outlook on life. He was naughty too, such as when he put the mouse in the candy jar, or the goat poop in the pipe.......or dressed up and rode around the campus on his secret motorcycle.
         I enjoyed reading his descriptive writing, especially when talking about things such as traveling to China and how it used to take five weeks, but "these days nothing is fabulous anymore." Also, I have only know Dahl as a writer, I didn't know that he was a photographer too. I would love to see more of his pictures. I have read most of his books: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, Willy Wonka, The BFG, and the list goes on. I do want to read the sequel to this book too. I am looking forward to it!

1 comment:

  1. Roald Dahl has such a great ability to bring his experiences to life, not only in the form of biography, but in his story as well. I am amazed by his ability to make so many connections. I am now claiming him as my favorite author of all time.

    ReplyDelete